Overcome Sexual Immorality
Sexual temptation is real and pervasive. Cultural taboos against sex outside of marriage have virtually disappeared. We are constantly bombarded with images and messages, subtle and blatant, enticing us to sin. In this highly sexualized world we live in, what can you as an unmarried Christian man or woman do to avoid falling into sexual immorality?
1. Each day, and often during the day, acknowledge the presence of the Greater One living inside of you and confess aloud His love for you and goodness to you.
2. Your behavior reflects your beliefs. Since this is the case, make sure your beliefs concerning sex are biblical. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
A. Sex was created in Heaven, not in Hollywood. Give God credit for being so good.
B. Sex is a precious gift from God to you and your spouse. Don’t spoil it.
C. God is the premiere expert on sex. Go to Him for advice.
D. Sexual boundaries save lives, preserve families, increase satisfaction, reduce crime, and promote overall happiness.
E. God’s rules regarding sex are not intended to prevent what is pleasurable, but to preserve what is precious.
3. Choose your circle of friends wisely. It is much easier to do right when your friends are doing so too.
4. Remember Jesus is the Vine and you are a branch in Him. Your job, then, is not to produce the fruit of holiness, but to allow Jesus to manifest His fruit through you. Learn, therefore, to depend upon Him totally for the strength you need to obey. What He requires, He supplies!
5. Lastly, give yourself to the Word and prayer. The Word will keep you from sin.
“How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word…Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You…Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies; For they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, For Your testimonies are my meditation.” (Psalms 119:9, 11, 97-99NKJV)
Child of God, He who calls you is faithful, Who also will do it. Amen!